The Cheesy Italian
About this recipe
This is a really great tasting burger. Gorgonzola with balsamic caramelized onions and pears on a juicy beef patty gives you a proper rich burger.
- Total Fat 47.7g 61%
- Saturated Fat 22.3g 111%
- Cholesterol 182mg 61%
- Sodium 1793mg 78%
- Vitamin D 2mcg 8%
- Potassium 741mg 16%
- Total Carbohydrate 56.6g 21%
- Dietary Fiber 4.5g 16%
- Total Sugars 13.9g 43%
- Protein 58.3g 116%
- Calcium 295mg 23%
- Iron 7mg 28%
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef 15-20% fat
- 1/2 tbsp. salt
- 1/2 tbsp. freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp. dried parsley
- 1/2 tbsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried fennel seed ground
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 pears chopped
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp. Butter
- Olive oil
- 1/2 pound of gorgonzola
- 1 cup of arugula rocket
- Gently mix 1/2 tbsp. salt, 1/2 tbsp. freshly cracked black pepper, the dried parsley, dried basil, dried fennel seed, dried oregano, dried thyme and the beef.
- Very gently divide the beef mixture into 5 pieces. Roll each piece in your hands until the mixture stays together in a ball. Be careful not to squash the meat too much.
- Boil the balsamic vinegar in a saucepan until it has reduced by half and allow to cool. Once cool, it should be much thicker.
- In a separate pan, fry the onions and pears in butter on a medium heat until they have browned. Then turn down the heat and cook until tender.
- Finish by adding the vinegar and season with salt to taste.
- Place the ball of meat in the pan and squash it down immediately with a flat metal kitchen utensil (I use the back of my hand.)
- Using your finger, make a small dimple in the middle. This stops it from swelling in the middle when it is cooked.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Cook on one side for a couple of minutes or until it is golden brown/charred on one side.
- Flip the burger and cook for a similar time of the other side or until it is right for you (I prefer rare to medium).
- While cooking the second side, slice your bun/s and heat each side in the same pan as the burger.
- Lay some arugula to the bottom bun.
- Add the burger.
- Add a generous slice of the gorgonzola.
- Spoon on a good serving of the onions and pears.
- Get stuck in!
Equipment used in this recipe
Grab the equipment you need for this recipe by clicking on the Amazon affiliate links below.